There’s nothing like a good savory stuffing to round out a special meal, right? It’s a great side-dish to a holiday meal, Sunday night dinner, or potluck meal. It’s easy to make a completely plant-based baked stuffing (or dressing), such as this vegan Rosemary Cranberry Cornbread Stuffing. My all-time favorite Rosemary Cranberry Cornbread Stuffing is a rich, flavorful cornbread stuffing, like my mother would make.
Growing up in Arkansas, my mother’s family enjoyed cornbread as a daily accompaniment to their meals, considering corn was the primary grain they grew on their farm. She always made a batch of cornbread the day before, then chopped it into her cornbread stuffing, mixing it with sautéed onions and celery, and an aromatic broth. I turned to my mother’s family traditions and added a few of my own touches to this absolutely delicious recipe—rosemary from my garden, tart-jewel tone cranberries, leeks, mushrooms, and nutty walnuts. This recipe just keeps on giving, as it’s delicious the next day too!
This vegan stuffing is rich with the flavors of cornbread, leeks, mushrooms, celery, cranberries, and walnuts.
- 4 slices whole wheat bread
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium leek, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 celery stalks, sliced
- 4 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 cup cranberries, fresh or frozen
- ½ cup walnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- Salt, as desired (optional)
- Make one batch (9×9-inch) vegan cornbread according to package directions or recipe instructions. When cornbread is done, set aside and cool slightly.
- While cornbread is baking, place whole wheat bread on a baking dish in the oven and toast until brown and dry (about 8 minutes)—do not burn.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet and add leek, garlic, and celery, sautéing for 9 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, rosemary, cranberries, walnuts and black pepper, and sauté for an additional 4 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Slice half of the batch of cornbread into small cubes (about 1 inch square). Reserve the remaining cornbread if needed (see 9) and to enjoy for other uses (serve it with soup or chili).
- Slice the whole wheat toast into small cubes (about 1 inch square).
- Transfer the cornbread and whole wheat cubes to a large mixing bowl. Add sauteed vegetable mixture and gently toss.
- Add vegetable broth and gently toss. You should achieve a moist (but not soggy) with all liquid is absorbed. If too moist, add a bit more of the reserved cornbread if needed to create desired texture. Taste and season with salt, if desired.
- Spray a large (3 quart) casserole dish or baking dish with nonstick cooking spray, and transfer the stuffing to the dish.
- Place in the oven, and bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately.
To make this recipe gluten-free, use gluten-free cornbread and bread.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 205
- Sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 224 mg
- Fat: 11 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 25 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 6 g
For other plant-based side-dishes, check out some of my favorites:
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information click here.