posted by Kalyn Denny on September 17, 2021
This low-carb Zucchini and Green Chile Breakfast Casserole is so delicious, I’d even buy zucchini to make it during the winter!
This low-carb Zucchini and Green Chile Breakfast Casserole with cottage cheese, sharp cheddar cheese, zucchini, and green chiles is a great answer to the “What shall we make with zucchini?” opportunity that gardeners face every year. And even when zucchini season is winding down it can be a challenge to keep up with it, which is why I’m reminding you of this long-time favorite breakfast casserole for this week’s Friday Favorites pick. I think breakfast casseroles with zucchini are perfect for late-season zucchini, when you don’t mind turning on the oven!
This version of a zucchini casserole is a recipe where a bit more or less zucchini won’t matter, but to keep the zucchini from being watery in the finished dish, I trim away some of the inner white part, and then saute it with the green chiles for extra flavor. I use drained cottage cheese here to make this creamy, but you can also just use more cheese and skip the cottage cheese. Use low-fat or full-fat cottage cheese, whichever you prefer.
What ingredients do you need for this recipe?
- cottage cheese
- olive oil
- Spike Seasoning (affiliate link), or use any seasoning mix you like on eggs
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- can of diced green chiles (affiliate link)
- half and half, heavy cream, or milk
- grated sharp cheddar cheese
What kind of green chiles did I use?
The diced green chiles used in this recipe are Anaheim Chiles, which are a popular chile pepper that’s grown in California. This is a mild but flavorful chile that’s versatile to use in recipes. I wouldn’t use Jalapeno chiles for this recipe unless you want it to be much more spicy!
More about making breakfast casseroles:
Before you make this you may also want to check out my tips and master recipe for Low Carb and Keto Breakfast Casseroles which has instructions for different sizes of pan and ingredient options for this type of breakfast casserole. And there’s a link in the complete recipe for a bigger size in case you want to make a larger one.<.p>
Can this breakfast casserole be frozen?
I don’t like to freeze this type of breakfast casserole with egg, but this is a perfect idea to make for Weekend Food Prep, then keep the leftover casserole in the fridge to eat during the week.
Want more zucchini recipes?
Check out 50 Amazing Zucchini Recipes, The Top Ten Low-Carb Zucchini Recipes, or Low-Carb and Keto Recipes for Oversized Zucchini for lots of delicious ideas for using zucchini if your garden is still producing it or you’re still getting it in your CSA box!
How to make Zucchini and Green Chile Breakfast Casserole:
(Scroll down for complete printable recipe, including nutritional information.)
- Put the cottage cheese in a fine strainer, rinse with cold water, and let it drain, leaving just the cheese curds to use in the finished dish. (Or skip this and just use a bit more cheese.)
- Cut zucchini into fourths lengthwise, then cut away the inner white part, leaving about 1/2 inch of white on the zucchini skin. Chop zucchini into same-size pieces.
- Saute the zucchini over very low heat for about 4-5 minutes, seasoning with Spike Seasoning (or other all-purpose seasoning blend).
- Then add the can of diced green chiles, stir into the zucchini, and continue to cook for another 4-5 minutes. (You don’t want the zucchini completely soft, so be sure the heat is low.)
- Layer the cooked zucchini, cottage cheese, and grated cheese in a flat casserole dish, pour beaten eggs over the other ingredients, then take a fork and gently stir so ingredients are evenly distributed in the eggs.
- Bake until the eggs are set and top is lightly browned.
- Serve hot, with some salsa and sour cream to add at the table if you prefer!
- And the last photo shows my favorite way to eat this, with a big dollop of sour cream and some salsa spread over the top!
More Delicious Breakfasts with Green Chiles:
Bobbi’s Egg Casserole with Cheese and Green Chiles ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Baked Egg Sausage Casserole with Green Chiles ~ Cookin’ Canuck
Chile Rellenos Bake ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Chile Verde Huevos Rancheros ~ Foodie Crush
Green Chile and Cheese Egg Muffins ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese, rinsed and drained well (see notes)
- 1 medium zucchini, about 8 inches long (or even more)
- 2 tsp. olive oil for sauteing zucchini and chiles
- 1 tsp. Spike Seasoning (optional but recommended, or use any seasoning mix you like on eggs)
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1 4 oz. can diced green Anaheim chiles
- 10 eggs, beaten well
- 1 T half and half (see notes)
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese (see notes)
- Preheat oven to 375 F/190C. Spray 7X11 inch or 8X8 inch casserole pan with nonstick spray or olive oil.
- Put cottage cheese in a colander placed in the sink and rinse thoroughly with cold water to wash off the “cream”, then let drain.
- Wash zucchini, cut lengthwise into fourths, then cut away the inner white part of the zucchini, leaving not over 1/2 inch thickness of white still on the skin.
- Discard white part, and cut remaining zucchini strips crosswise into same-size strips.
- Put olive oil into nonstick frying pan and saute zucchini over low heat for 4-5 minutes, seasoning with Spike Seasoning (affiliate link), salt, and pepper.
- Then add undrained green chiles and cook another 4-5 minutes. (Zucchini should still be pretty firm when you turn off the heat, so be sure you have it on low.)
- Layer zucchini/green chile mixture, drained cottage cheese, and cheese into casserole dish.
- Beat eggs with half and half, cream or milk and pour over other ingredients.
- Use a fork to gently stir so that zucchini, green chile, cottage cheese, and cheese is evenly distributed in the egg mixture.
- Bake at 375 for about 25-30 minutes, or until mixture is set and top is nicely browned.
Use more cottage cheese if you’d like; either low-fat or full-fat cottage cheese is fine. Use heavy cream or milk instead of half and half if you prefer. Use more or less cheese, to taste.
Click Here for Larger Size from Original Recipe that makes 10-12 servings
This recipe created by Kalyn.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 331Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 11gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 351mgSodium: 784mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 23g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
If you use full-fat cottage cheese and cheese and use cream this would be a perfect breakfast casserole for low-carb or Keto diet plans. Made with low-fat cottage cheese, low-fat cheese, and milk, Zucchini and Green Chile Breakfast Casserole is a great breakfast option for the original South Beach Diet. You can make this on the weekend, cut into serving size pieces, and keep in the fridge for an easy breakfast to pop in the microwave before work. (Microwave just until hot to prevent it from getting rubbery.)
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Breakfast Recipes to find more recipes like this one. Use the Diet Type Index to find recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
Historical Notes for this recipe:
This recipe was posted in 2008. It was updated with better photos in 2013 and was updated with more information in 2021.