With Denis Villeneuve’s upcoming adaptation of Dune just around the corner, now might be a great time to check out the David Lynch directed adaptation of the Frank Herbert novel. A Limited Edition 4K Blu-ray for the film has been revealed. It is expected to hit shelves on August 31, 2021, and you can pre-order it right now.
Courtesy of Arrow Video, the 1984 release of Dune will have two versions of its upcoming 4K Blu-ray release. The “Limited Edition” essentially serves as the standard version, and the Deluxe Limited Edition packs a few extra goodies the other version doesn’t include. While the on-disc content is virtually the same, the physical goodies vary slightly.
Here is the content you’ll find available to view on-disc as provided by the Grindhouse Video pre-order page:
- 4K (2160p) UHD Blu-ray presentation in Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible)
- Original uncompressed stereo audio and DTS-HD MA 5.1 surround audio
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
- Brand new audio commentary by film historian Paul M. Sammon
- Brand new audio commentary by Mike White of The Projection Booth podcast
- Impressions of Dune, a 2003 documentary on the making of the film, featuring interviews with star Kyle MacLachlan, producer Raffaella de Laurentiis, cinematographer Freddie Francis, editor Antony Gibbs and many others
- Designing Dune, a 2005 featurette looking back at the work of production designer Anthony Masters
- Dune FX, a 2005 featurette exploring the special effects in the film
- Dune Models & Miniatures, a 2005 featurette focusing on the model effects in the film
- Dune Costumes, a 2005 featurette looking at the elaborate costume designs seen in the film
- Eleven deleted scenes from the film, with a 2005 introduction by Raffaella de Laurentiis
- Destination Dune, a 1983 featurette originally produced to promote the film at conventions and publicity events
- Theatrical trailers and TV spots
- Extensive image galleries, including hundreds of still photos
Disc Two (Bonus Disc)
- The Sleeper Must Awaken: Making Dune, a brand new feature-length documentary by Ballyhoo Motion Pictures exploring the making of the film, featuring dozens of new and archive interviews with cast and crew
- Beyond Imagination: Merchandising Dune, a brand new featurette exploring the merchandise created to promote the film, featuring toy collector/producer Brian Sillman (The Toys That Made Us)
- Prophecy Fulfilled: Scoring Dune, a brand new featurette on the film’s music score, featuring interviews with Toto guitarist Steve Lukather, Toto keyboardist Steve Porcaro, and film music historian Tim Greiving
- Brand new interview with make-up effects artist Giannetto de Rossi, filmed in 2020
- Archive interview with production coordinator Golda Offenheim, filmed in 2003
- Archive interview with star Paul Smith, filmed in 2008
- Archive interview with make-up effects artist Christopher Tucker
It should be noted that the Dune Deluxe Limited Edition 4K Blu-ray includes a third disc which includes the film and all of its extras in standard Blu-ray. Also, the “bonus disc” is in standard Blu-ray format.
If you’re looking to add David Lynch’s Dune to your growing 4K Blu-ray collection, the Deluxe Limited Edition is the one you’ll want to pick up as it includes a Steelbook and 100-page perfect-bound book with original concepts and designs.
Here are all the physical goodies you will find with the Deluxe Limited Edition as listed on its pre-order page:
- 60-page perfect-bound book featuring new writing on the film by Andrew Nette, Christian McCrea and Charlie Brigden, an American Cinematographer interview with sound designer Alan Splet from 1984, excerpts from an interview with the director from Chris Rodley’s book Lynch on Lynch and a Dune Terminology glossary from the original release
- 100-page perfect-bound book featuring original pre-production concepts and designs by Anthony Masters and Ron Miller, and an interview with Masters from the film’s press kit
- Large fold-out double-sided poster featuring original theatrical poster artwork
- Six double-sided, postcard-sized lobby card reproductions
- Limited edition SteelBook housed in Deluxe rigid packaging, both with original theatrical artwork
The standard Limited Edition does not include the 100-page book or the Steelbook case. It also features artwork of a giant worm rather than the art used for the original poster for the movie.
Dune is a highly-regarded science-fiction novel by Frank Herbert which was originally published in 1965. The David Lynch film starred Kyle MacLachlan (Twin Peaks), Francesca Annis (The Libertine), Virginia Madsen (Sideways), and Sting. Denis Villeneuve’s adaptation of the novel, which stars Timothée Chalamet as Paul Atreides, is set to debut in theaters and HBO Max on October 1, 2021.