FREE PRINTABLE: LOW CARB & KETO FOOD LIST
This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
I grew up eating Russian “grenki”, which is kind of like a savory French toast, but ever since I tried the sweet version, it’s definitely my favorite. Of course, French toast is far from keto friendly, so I had to try my hand at a low carb French toast version. And can you believe it takes just 10 minutes, including the bread?! This keto French toast recipe is made by turning 90 second bread into a delectable and wholesome breakfast… perfect with a cup of bulletproof coffee.
If you want a larger batch and even fluffier, chewier bread, make the bread base with my keto bread mix instead.
Why You’ll Love This Keto French Toast Recipe
- Rich, sweet flavor
- Fluffy, chewy bread
- Authentic taste and texture
- Uses common keto kitchen ingredients
- Ready in 10 minutes
- Just 2.5g net carbs per serving
- Low carb, gluten-free, and healthy breakfast
Ingredients You’ll Need
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for low carb French toast, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
For the keto bread:
- Wholesome Yum Blanched Almond Flour – With an ultra fine grind, this flour creates a texture deceptively similar to conventional bread! Don’t substitute almond meal or coconut flour, as the result won’t turn out. (See ideas for other keto breads below if you need substitutions.)
- Wholesome Yum Psyllium Husk Powder – Creates the chewy, bubbly consistency in the bread and adds a healthy dose of fiber. It’s also fine to substitute flaxseed meal instead.
- Butter – Use unsalted butter. For a dairy-free version, coconut oil also works
- Baking Powder – Helps the bread rise. Make sure yours is fresh.
- Sea Salt
- Egg – Use a whole, large egg. A flax egg can work, too, but the texture is a bit different.
TIP: You can make the same keto French toast recipe using other keto breads. Try my keto bread mix for the best, easiest option, or keto white bread, almond flour bread, or coconut flour bread (this last one is a nut-free option).
For the low carb French toast:
- Besti Powdered Monk Fruit Allulose Blend – Blends seamlessly into the egg mixture, tastes like sugar, and helps the French toast brown perfectly, all with 0g net carbs! This is also perfect for sprinkling over the finished toast. I don’t generally recommend using other sweeteners, which may turn out gritty, but you can check options in my keto sweetener guide.
- Egg – Use a whole, large egg. Flax eggs won’t work here, unfortunately.
- Heavy Cream – Cream tastes the richest, but for a dairy-free version, you can also substitute full-fat coconut milk (the richest substitute), unsweetened almond milk, or any keto milk.
- Ground Cinnamon
- Vanilla Extract
- Butter – Helps the toast brown in the pan. You could also use your favorite neutral oil, such as coconut oil or avocado oil, though the flavor won’t be as rich.
How To Make Keto French Toast
This section shows how to make low carb French toast, with step-by-step photos and details about the technique. For full instructions, see the recipe card below.
- Combine bread batter. Add the flour mixture to the melted butter, then whisk in the egg and stir everything together until smooth. Level the top with the back of a spoon.
- Cook bread. Microwave for about 90 seconds, or bake in the oven for about 15 minutes, until firm and set.
- Slice. Cut the bread in half crosswise to make 2 squares. Slice each square in half, making 4 square slices total. Cut each square into 2 triangles, for 8 triangles total. (If using a different keto bread, bake the loaf, cool, slice, and cut into triangles.)
TIP: You can make thicker slices or even sticks. For thick French toast, skip slicing in half and end up with 4 triangles instead. For keto French toast sticks, simply cut into strips (I also have a different recipe for French toast sticks in my Easy Keto Cookbook!)
- Make keto French toast batter. In a small bowl, whisk together egg, heavy cream, cinnamon, vanilla, and Besti Powdered Monk Fruit Allulose Blend.
- Dip. Once the bread has cooled, dip bread in the egg mixture and flip to coat both sides.
- Cook. Melt butter in a nonstick pan and add bread. Cook for 1-1.5 minutes per side, or until golden brown. (You’ll need to cook in 2 batches.)
- Garnish. Dust your 90-second keto bread French toast with more powdered Besti and drizzle with the best sugar-free maple syrup. (See more topping ideas below!)
- Store: Keep finished French toast in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days.
- Meal prep: Make the keto bread ahead of time. You can also make the egg mixture ahead. Dip and fry the French toast fresh if possible.
- Reheat: Reheat leftovers in a hot skillet or in the microwave.
- Freeze: Flash freeze French toast on a parchment lined baking sheet until solid, then transfer to a freezer safe container for up to 3 months. Thaw before reheating.
There are so many ways to make French toast keto — right down to the toppings!
More Keto Breakfast Recipes
Love easy breakfasts? Try these classic recipes made low carb.
Reader Favorite Recipes
The recipe card is below! Readers that made this also viewed these recipes:
Low Carb Keto French Toast Recipe
This keto French toast recipe comes together in just 10 minutes, including the bread! Learn how to make low carb French toast with just 2.5g net carbs, for a quick, healthy breakfast.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 5 minutes
Total Time 10 minutes
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Make 90-second bread according to the instructions here. (But use the amounts above – this is double the recipe in the link.)
Cut the bread in half crosswise to make 2 squares. Slice each square in half, making 4 squares total. Cut each square into 2 triangles, for 8 triangles total.
While the bread cools, whisk together the egg, heavy cream, cinnamon, vanilla, and 1 teaspoon Besti powdered in a small bowl.
Dip the cooled bread in the egg mixture, flipping to coat both sides.
In a frying pan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the keto French toast in a single layer and cook 60-90 seconds per side, until golden brown on both sides. Repeat with remaining pieces.
If desired, top with more Besti Powdered and Wholesome Yum Keto Maple Syrup.
Serving size: 2 triangles
Amount per serving. Serving size in recipe notes above.
Total Carbs 5.1g
Net Carbs 2.5g
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favourites recipes and articles!
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂